Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Vicarious living at Commerce

I've been feeling semi-sick all week. Not deathly ill to the point where I miss work, just blah enough to be able to go through the motions, but have no energy doing so. I passed on Albert's offer to go with him to Commerce to play in some satellites for the LA Poker Classic. He's probably the best player at my homegame (myself included), so I wanted to know how he did.

His report was a sad one.

He started out at the $40 satellite, which gives you 500 in chips to start, blinds at 25/25. His playing style is generally tight. Apparently he folded for a bit, and got busted when his AQ-suited hit a flush on a turn-card that also gave somebody a set. All the money went in, and Mr Set had the board pair on the river. Bye Albert.

He moved to the $80 satellite, which starts with 1K in chips. The very first hand he played was QQ, raising several limpers by a large amount. Flop was eight high with two spades, and he raised a small flop bet. They got all-in, the flop bettor had sevens (with a spade), but turned a seven. No soup for Al.

In his second attempt at an $80, he flopped a flush with JT from the BB in an unraised pot. He bets out on the flop, getting only one caller. The turn is a brick, but Albert still has a flush, and he's openended for a straight flush. He bets big to take it down right there, and of course the ace-of-the-suit calls him, and rivers his flush. Hasta.

He played ten hands total, and lost three satellites. Harsh.

~~

I'd still like to hit up Commerce during all this. I'd skip the $40's and go right to the $80's. Friday's my off-day, but this Friday is the $330 limit tourney, and I'm horrible at limit. (And I might even have a date this Friday night. Stop laughing - she gets back from Brazil tomorrow.)
If I go to Commerce, I'll go for the NL satellites.

I've got my eyes on this, and I'd really like to play my way into the fun.

I also think it's awesome that plenty of the Murderer's Row people are gunning for these tourneys, and even an out-of-town blogger or two. Good luck to you all!!

(and if I see any of you at my satellite table, I'm begging for a refund.)

2 Comments:

Blogger thebabykicker said...

Damn, that is bad luck. On the other hand, it's a good sign that they're looking to donk off all their chips early. I may be at Harrah's Rincon this weekend; I may have to try a satellite or two after reading this.

1/18/2006 8:55 PM  
Blogger change100 said...

You've gotta come up to Commerce, even if at least for the smokin' cash games going on right now.

1/20/2006 2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home