Tuesday, January 03, 2006

On a personal note

It's amazing how a first date goodnight kiss can turn a bad day right around.

I had the worst day at work. That's not hyperbole, as I actually cannot remember a shift I've had waiting tables, EVER, that was worse. The nadir came when the British lady insulted me, to my face, in an extended monologue. I was so enraged, words failed me. I was unable to say anything, for the most part because I'm polite and was unwilling to get myself fired at that moment. Rather than stand there and take more abuse (or fail/succeed to keep my emotions in check), I left her table wordlessly, with her in mid-sentence. Straight to a manager, explaining why it would be best for everyone concerned if somebody else were to take the table. He concurred.

I was so mad I couldn't see. For about a half hour, I was physically trembling with rage. I'm normally very slow to anger. This day summed up and concentrated all the reasons why I should get a new job. I will remember the British lady when I'm talking about my resume in a job interview. (That's on the '06 To-Do List)

But the most wonderful present was waiting for me at home. I had met Michelle at the New Year's Eve party I went to, on my roommate's urging. She had left her first message on my machine, letting me know she was headed to Brazil tomorrow for two weeks, wondering if I might like to catch a movie tonight.

Hell. Yes.

My roommate and Michelle's best friend had both made an effort to pimp us out to each other - the NYE party was our first meeting, and was pretty laid back. Conversation and billiards at a party that had absolutely nothing else going for it but the presence of the girl who had engaged my attention. I thought she was almost-out-of-my-league attractive, but a bit guarded. No clue how she felt about me. I got her business card (she's a budding jazz musician), and sent her an email that night.

So the message was a treat. She wanted to see a movie, and I struggled to come up with a better idea for something to do that might impress an artistic babe. I failed, so we decided on The Producers, at a mutually convenient theater.

I'm 16 again. I'm in a movie with a girl I don't know well, and I have no clue if this is a platonic thing or not. From what I've learned so far, I like her. Don't want to do something stupid. I figure that she wanted to see me before she left, so I put my arm around her. Halfway through the movie. Yup, I actually thought about this for a good 30 minutes.

Nothing awkward. This is good.

She sure smells nice.

Movie ends, and I walk her to her car. We hug, and I actually ask her, "Would you like me to kiss you now?" Clearly, I am socially retarded. How long as it been since I've been in this situation? Why can't I handle this with anything approaching self-assurance?

Her response was a good one - "Do you want to?" I believe I had my lips on hers just as she was finishing the word "to".

She'll be in Brazil for two weeks. And oddly enough, there is a scene in The Producers where one of the main characters gets a postcard from Brazil.

I've got hope. And she's got my address.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jordan said...

What a nice, refreshing email. Go spend your $25 HUC2 winnings on her, you stud.

1/03/2006 1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home