Sunday, December 11, 2005

Quick update

The recap:

Two Sundays ago, I donked it up horribly, rebuying three times, then finishing dead last, busting out to Shawn. He called a 2/3 the pot bet with an openeder, and I called his all-in with TPTK to see his turned straight. Always nice to get your money in drawing dead with one card to come.

My cashgame play has been odd. I've been into the game for multiple buy-ins, but I ended up the night within a buy-in profit/loss. Up $8, down $5. *shrug* I seem to be doing well enough. Though I need to remember to bet into Albert on the river. He's proving to be the toughest to trap, and the least likely to bet a very strong but not nut hand when he thinks I'm up to something fishy. He flops trip tens with ATo, I turn the nut full house with my kings, and we go check-check on the river. Nice no-bet.

Last Sunday was a different story, and it was a nice one. Attendance was down a little due to college exams out there, with 8 players buying in to the first tourney. I made a timely doubleup against Albert when my J7o and his 76o flopped straights from the blinds on a scary board, T-9-8, two diamonds. I made the last raise, he agonized, then called. From there, I didn't go overboard trying to bully the table, especially with Austin's distaste for folding before the flop.

The tourney was effectively won when we were three-handed, and I raised Austin's BB with pocket fives. Nice flop: Q-9-5, two hearts. Doubleas & GCox agree: sets are a goldmine! I did not want to see a large heart hit the board, so I bet roughly the pot. And Austin checkraised me! I took some time to think before I called. The turn helped nobody, a black 3. He checked, leading me to believe he had a very strong draw, like KT-hearts or something. I bet another sizeable amount, and he checkraised me again! It wasn't much more for me to go all-in, and Austin tabled his two pair, Q5o. I had Austin covered by $600 in chips. Poor Albert was sitting there (now in the money) with almost $5K, and I have the rest of it, $42K or so. It wasn't long after that I found KQo, got all-in preflop with Al's ATo, and rivered a flush to finish it.

It wasn't even 11 yet, so we decided to play again, this time a $10 freezeout with 6 players. Second place got their buy-in back, top guy got $50. I won that one too, after plenty of back and forth with Skipper heads-up.

This was a fun hand: AQo in the SB, with two limpers. For some reason, I decided not to pop it, and called. Russ in the BB, pushed all-in, and started counting out his chips. It was a fairly large overbet, but he was probably playing the situation more than his cards. He seemed fairly sure he wasn't going to get called. So I called, and his A6o didn't improve. I'll have to remember that next time Russ is on my left with a short-medium stack of chips.

Online has been an adventure. I've coughed up some cash, five bucks at a time, in UB's $5 rebuy feeder tourney for their $300+20 WSOP satellite. 29th out of 125 and 14th out of 121, with the top 5 getting seats each time, and the top 10-11 getting into the money. In the 14th place finish, I was on the leaderboard at the second hour break, third out of 35 or so. Getting my kings cracked by A2o hurt. Trip two's, no less.

I played some $.5/$1 limit Omaha/8 and finished up a whole buck. It was my first attempt at moving up a level. It was nice to see I didn't donk my way around too badly. The table seemed just a bit more likely to raise preflop, and just a bit less likely to stick around with subpar draws. The level of play isn't a huge improvement. Time will tell if I can be profitable at this level. I sure hope so.

I monied in a $5 turbo MTT, 22nd out of 370 or so. $13 is better than nothing. I also had a fun 2nd place in a 30-person $5 sng.

My bankroll is holding steady, but I am enjoying taking shots at a few tourneys.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home