Tuesday, November 01, 2005

It's the journey, not the destination

I won a 10-handed UB $5 sng last night. Ho hum. The remarkable part was how shortstacked I found myself.

With four players left, I was #2 in chips, and somebody called my BB preflop raise after limping in, then pushed all-in over the top with AQ-high on a 7-7-3 flop. I called with my 9's, and the queen on the turn crippled me.

I had 375 with the BB at 400.

UTG next hand, I didn't want to play 62o with what I figured to be the SB and the BB calling me. I won my BB hand, with only the chipleading SB calling, K9o against his QT-suited.

So I doubled up, and I'm still short. But one of the other guys is also short, and we're on the bubble. I ended up winning another all-in on the very next hand, then having to call Shorty's all-in with J5o from my very next BB - it was just 175 more. I even had two overcards to his pocket 4's. He won that, and I was shortest again.

A doubleup and a bluff later, he was out and I was in the money. I went on a sick rush of cards, and trapped the chipleader twice with big hands. I busted him in third place with AK, then took the whole thing when I flopped quads with pocket 8's.

Sure, it's only a $25 win, but the journey was FUN
.

2 Comments:

Blogger thebabykicker said...

Good job on battling back from a crippled stack. (:

11/01/2005 6:43 PM  
Blogger High Plains Drifter said...

I know excellent/well-known players brag about winning tourneys without ever being all-in... but I gotta say, when your stack's in there time and again, and you finally prevail - it feels great.

And I probably used up all my luck for the rest of the year.

11/01/2005 11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home