Monday, September 26, 2005

Winner Takes All

.. and for tonight only, I can call myself "Winner".

Though I didn't exactly "take all". When it got down to three-handed, we made a deal to pay 2nd place $20 (the buy-in amount), and the winner to get the rest.

I won, throwing a huge suckout on NewGuy Kev, who barely had me covered. I made a read on the flop, stuck with my read on the turn when all the money went in, and was horribly horribly wrong. The river saved me, giving me two pair against his overpair.

The very next hand ended it all. I had Russ outchipped 6+:1, and found pocket aces on the button heads-up.

Are you kidding me?

"Call." sez I.

"All-in."

"Call."

ATo for him, and he did hit two pair on the flop. Unfortunately, that meant I had flopped trip aces. No miracle running tens, and the tourney was over.

It was nice to win a top-heavy payout tourney, even if I had to suckout to get there. Most of my decisions along the way were pretty good.

And Russ even invited me to a homegame in Dana Point, on Tuesday night I think. I've been meaning to get out an explore some more homegames, so this should be a fun experience. Russ seems to think I'd do well.

1 Comments:

Blogger High Plains Drifter said...

I felt pretty good about some of my play when I was a short-stack. When I found myself in Harrington's dreaded Red Zone, I got aggressive with the all-ins. With an M of 4-5, I still had enough chips not to get a call when I was pushing with Q6s and A4o. Russ said he folded pocket 6's on the A4o push, which tells me that I was doing it just enough to be effective and not tip off my opponents that I'm pushing with a big range of hands. That section of the book helped keep me alive, rather than waiting too long and trying to double up too late.

9/26/2005 10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home