Thursday, September 08, 2005

Time keeps on slippin'

Jeff, my new roommate is cool. Plays poker reasonably well (live and on UltimateBet), and donated an octagonal tabletop to the poker-hosting gig we've got going.

Speaking of, my poker game is burgeoning. For the last two tourneys, we've had 18 (that's a full house at my place) and 16. I can't remember the last time we had a single table, for either a cashgame or tourney. My low-dollar game is well-attended, and new folks email me about it weekly. LA and San Diego have way more poker home games, but mine's pretty nice as far as Orange County goes.

I've been hosting mine for more than a year now. Albert decided to throw up a website for recording tourney money finishers, and a messageboard to talk trash.. and poker.

I had a return trip to the PCS. Albert and I didn't do much. Shawn and Miguel played like a bag of ass, and Shawn annoyed the PCS Director to the point that he told me Shawn's not invited back. Russ was with us, and won the damn thing. Go Russ!!

I just don't feel like I've had a spare minute lately. Organizing poker twice a week, and now I'm training to be a bartender at the restaurant. That role involves more hours, but the pay is nicer. There's also talk of making me the regular Sunday lunch bartender. They actually asked me, "Mike, do you like football?" A question to which I'd like to reply, "Does the Pope poop in the woods? I also enjoy drinking beer and looking at nice boobs."

A Sunday lunch bartender shift would be nice for several reasons. I'd imagine customers would drink beer (instead of foo-foo frozen drinks), and talk football. More importantly, I'd be out of the building by 5pm, giving me plenty of time to get home and organize (and play in!) my Sunday tourney.

The poker has been fun to organize. The Skipper Heads-Up Challenge is tied 2-2 (after I took Razz) going into the final game, PL Omaha/8. I'm mediocre on my best days at O/8, but Skipper was horrible at Omaha and PL seems to fit my heads-up style well.

We've got a Double Stakes tourney coming up this Sunday, our first one ever. (Normally our tourneys are $10 buy-in, $10 rebuys, $5 addons, but this one will be $20/$20/$10). And two weeks after that, we'll try our first ever $20 Freezeout, Winner Take All tourney. Should be good times.

3 Comments:

Blogger thebabykicker said...

I also enjoy drinking beer and looking at nice boobs.

Those are the soft skills required to work the Sunday lunch shift during football season. (:

9/08/2005 1:45 PM  
Blogger Jordan said...

You may want to try a bounty tourney, and have everyone put in an extra $5. If you knock someone out, you win their $5. Keep in mind that 1st place will get an extra $10 on top of their 1st place prize, because they get the 2nd place player's bounty and their own. I tried it at my home game and everyone loved it.

9/08/2005 2:25 PM  
Blogger High Plains Drifter said...

We did the bounty thing at the PCS, and I didn't like it. It was well done, and all that, but my style isn't conducive to knocking a lot of people out. Folks with rollercoaster chip counts, who play a lot of pots benefit most from bounties.

But we might try it later on. We've got a lot up on the messageboard about new ideas for our game.

9/10/2005 12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home