Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Finding my place

I've been thinking about what I could possibly bring to the poker blogging world. The short answer is not much. I'm not a good writer, nor a good poker player. You won't see too much useful strategy around here. So, what can I do?

I've hosted an open game at my place since June of '04. I've invited strangers (at the time) into my home, and it's always worked out. It's a very small buy-in game, so there's little chance someone's going to find my game with an eye towards cheating. As I've hosted, I've gained contacts. If you play in my game, chances are good that you'll tell me about other homegames that I might like to play in.

A few months ago, I realized that I was a poker consigliere of central Orange County. Simply put, if you wanted to play in a homegame, you could give me a call, and I'd direct you to Dana Point or Anaheim or USC.

I had the info. I was a gatekeeper.

Don't get me wrong - I don't know every single homegame in the immediate vicinity. But it is kinda neat to have that kind of info at your disposal. Those choices. The golden ticket.

So, I'm going to start a series of entries... my Rounder Report. I'm going to write about my travels around Orange County to various homegames. Cashgames and tournaments - one time shots, and regular affairs.

Perhaps it'll be worth a read even to those not living nearby.

2 Comments:

Blogger AlCantHang said...

"I've been thinking about what I could possibly bring to the poker blogging world."

A voice.

That's what you bring. Write what you know. I like reading different perspectives of this silly little game.

Keep on keeping on.

Cheers

4/19/2006 6:24 AM  
Blogger High Plains Drifter said...

Thanks Al.

4/19/2006 11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home