Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Drunk Luckbox

Don't try this at home..

In preparation for the glorious UNC-Duke game, I gave poker-regular John P Tarheel a call to see if he had plans for the game. He did - in the Bay area. He suggested I hit Rudy's in Newport Beach. Plenty of tv's, pitchers of Guinness, and the owner is a Carolina fan!

My roommate drove, I drank Guinness and watched a great game. I even talked trash with the other owner... the Duke fan. It turns out that Rudy's is a huge UNC hangout, but the actual person Rudy is a Duke fan.

After the game, I was pumped. And really buzzed. My roommate suggested we hit the Reraise homegame, in Anaheim. He was driving, I was good to go. Picked up an 18 of Miller Lite on the way.

The Reraise homegame is a very interesting one. I was the first one of the Tustin group to play in it, and it was exasperating. The buy-in is $20, the blinds are 25/50 cents, and the regulars are aggressive to the point of absurdity. Overall, the play was poor, but it was very difficult to navigate all the bluff-raises, semibluffs, and suckouts. The regulars from the Reraise homegame are often seen at my game, busting out early and often, or stacking up copious amounts of chips.

I sat down and was into my 3rd beer when reason left me. EP raiser had already gotten 3 callers, so I closed the betting with T9-hearts from the BB. The flop was 7h-6h-3c, and my buzz bet my whole stack into everybody else in the hand, about $20 into a $16 pot. I got called immediately. And again. Two callers? Crap.

Them, 77 and 33. Top and bottom sets. At least I'm drawing live.

The turn is the 8 of hearts. Excuse me, did I just hit a straight flush? Yes, yes I did.

WOW.

Somebody later remarked that it was the only time in the history of the Reraise game that people were drawing dead by the river.

Play continued with me making several overbets, but never getting crushed in a hand. Amazingly, I ended up for the session.

I ended up in for $20 and out for $108, and I paid for Russ (who drove us home) and Barker at Del Taco. We had had an agreement that the big winner would pony up, and that was me. Though really it's a wonder I didn't bust out, considering how sloshed I was.

~~

I've also been tabbed by Joe Speaker for the LA cool kids meme thing. I've only lived in the OC for five years, so I'll have to modify it a little.

~~

I just finished an interesting night of Full Tilt poker. Two wins in $5 HORSE sng's in three tries, and a final table in the $5 late night NL holdem tourney. 8th out of 138 feels nice, even if it is only $20.

1 Comments:

Blogger Yoyo (Poker Poison) said...

Not sure if you got the word. HUC3 has been announced.

Sign-up at www.headsupchallenge.blogspot.com

3/14/2006 12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home