Monday, March 21, 2005

Testing the waters in Omaha/8

Recently, I decided to give a $1 Omaha/8 tourney a shot. It was late when I made some boneheaded move, not realizing I didn't hold the nut low. My mistake cost me a lot of chips, and a chance at possibly finishing in the money in my first ever O/8 tourney attempt. Up until that mistake, I think I was doing well. The only information I've read on O/8 was on Mourn's blog. (Thanks, Mourn!!) But I do have Super System 2 on the way.

I had fun in that tourney, so I figured why not give an O/8 cash game a shot? I'm clueless, but I'm patient and I have half an idea of what makes a good starting hand. I spent a little over an hour there at the Big Timer ($.10/$.25 blinds) table, and left up a whopping $1.50 (+3 BB, baby!). I was smart enough to leave the table when a few players showed up who liked to raise preflop way too much.

But I did scoop my first ever hand in an O/8 cash game:

Ultimate Bet 0.25/0.50 Omaha/8 (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with Ah, 5h, 8h, 9c. Hero posts a blind of $0.25.
1 fold, UTG+1 calls, 3 folds, Hero (poster) checks, 1 fold, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) As, 7h, 9d (4 players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero bets, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) Ad (3 players)
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero bets, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

River: (5.50 BB) 3d (2 players)
UTG+1 checks, Hero bets, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB

Results in white below:
UTG+1 has 7s Kh Kc Js (High: two pair, aces and kings).
Hero has Ah 5h 8h 9c (Low: 8, 7, 5, 3, A High: full house, aces full of nines).
Outcome: Hero wins 7.50 BB.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home