Saturday, March 19, 2005

Making Friends at the $10 Sit 'n Goes

After work this evening, I fired up UB to take my first dip into the $10 sit 'n go pool. And Mommy, I made friends!!

I noticed that some chucklehead had jumped out to an early chip lead and was betting the pot if the flop came even close to hitting him. Got a gutshot Broadway draw? Bet the pot!! Checked to the button? Bet the pot!!

In an unraised pot, I saw the flop for free from my big blind with 74 offsuit. The flop was something like 843 with two clubs. I checked to Chucklehead, who bet the pot. It was folded to me, and I went all-in, which was just short of 5x his bet. I didn't think Chuckles had a hand, and wanted to send him a message. "I'm not going to let you steal them all."

Only Chuckles had other plans. He called my all-in with AQ-diamond. Overcards. Ace-high, no draw. That's it. The turn and river missed him, and I doubled up. And that started our verbal skirmish. Suffice to say, I held the opinion that when someone checkraises you all-in, calling with ace-high and no draw isn't a wise move. (Granted, my checkraise was risky and dumb, but that little poker voice told me I had the best hand and it was time to make a move.)

Our banter died down, and I forgot the matter. I was pleased to notice Chuckles checking more often, but that may have been due to his chip lead vanishing.

Fifteen minutes later, he busted somebody and told me that I was next. Oooh, shivers down my spine! He had chips again. And he liked talking trash. I can respect that, so long as you form sentences at higher than a third grade level (which he did).

Unfortunately, there was to be no other confrontational hand. Chuckles played reasonably well from there, but finished on the bubble. I did well for myself short-handed, but bluffed when my opponent flopped a set during heads-up play. A second place finish in my first $10 sng... I hope that's a sign of things to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home