Thursday, March 03, 2005

Blogger Table? Nope, Try PCS Table

I've never done a blogger $25 NL table. And from the sound of it, I'd be donating several buy-in's if I ever do. But tonight, we rounded up all of the PCS players who have UB accounts, and played some poker. We had a $25 NL table with Fast Eddie, Rick, Black Widow, Dallion, and myself. Only Pistol Pete and John were missing.

And did I mention I was high on percocet and merlot? At my soccer game last night, the ref decided he wasn't going to call fouls, and the opposing team intentionally fouled me for the last five minutes of the match. Some fat guy tackled me and fell on my wrist. It might be sprained, but I do know it hurts like a bitch. The percocet/merlot combo allows me to type, which is nice...

I sat down and turned my $25 into $30 before leaving. Dallion talked trash to Eddie, and they squared off in the $5 heads-up sit 'n go arena, with Eddie taking three out of four matches. At 10pm, we all decided to squeeze into a $5 6-handed sit 'n go. Black Widow had wandered off, so Dallion, Eddie, Rick and myself faced off with two guys who really didn't know what hit them.

The key hand for me was early in the sng. I had pocket 5's in the small blind, and nobody raised preflop. The flop came A52, all spades. Hmm... nice, but I'll take a card off in case anybody's got two spades. Checks all around, and the turn is another 2. Sweet, I've got a boat, 5's over 2's. I bet 50 into a 100 pot, and got raised by SomebodyElse to 100. Rick called, which I thought was sort of odd. I reraised to 300, and SomebodyElse went all-in. Rick called (again!) for all of his stack, and I couldn't lay down a boat. Turns out that SomebodyElse flopped the queen-high flush, and Rick flopped the king-high flush. They both slowplayed it, right into my full house. Bitches! That hand gave me almost 50% of the chips on the table.

I busted Eddie when we both flopped a set of jacks, and my weak kicker played and beat his horrid one. I busted Dallion heads-up on a super suckout. Flop was K3x, I held K9 and Dallion had K3. All the money went in, and the turn was a 9. (Bill Raftery voice) Send it in, Jerome!!

They wanted a rematch, but this time we only got me, Rick, and Black Widow at the table in time, another 6-hander. We managed to knock out the non-PCS'ers first, and I was the shortstack, barely limping along. I think I had 500 when the blinds hit 50/100. Ouch.

But I struggled valiantly. I don't know how, but I beefed up, and Black Widow got knocked out by Rick. He had me outchipped more than 3/1, but the blinds were still relatively low. I was as aggressive as I could be, and kept chipping back. Finally, I committed all of my chips to a king-high bluff on a 552, two spade flop. Rick call me with K9-spades after way too much though, and hit a 9 on the turn to take it home.

Still, two PCS sng's and two money finishes when the 6-handed ones pay out only the top 2? Pretty sweet. And even though I haven't read through all of the Ship It Poker heads-up info, I did learn to be more aggressive with the button when heads-up. Maybe I can keep the momentum going.

This Friday, we've got a team event. Five teams of four players each, each final table position gets a certain amount of points. And judging by my team, I was the #2 overall draft pick. (Tim is my captain, and he got the #2 pick, and I'd be surprised if he picked Black Widow or Chris D #2 overall - they just haven't been that strong recently.) Another shocker is that it's Tim picking me. This is the same Tim who has hounded me mercilessly about my tightness and predictability preflop and my weakness post-flop. Maybe he believes I've turned a corner in my poker abilities. Or maybe he was high when they had the draft.

2 Comments:

Blogger April said...

Percocet and merlot....a yummy but dangerous combo. I've been the recipent of some "what exactly did I do last night?" phone calls as a result of it.

3/03/2005 9:49 AM  
Blogger High Plains Drifter said...

I ran out of both, early enough in the evening to do little damage. No drunk-dials, no drunk-emails. Just this post.

Which reminds me... I drank wine because I was out of beer.

3/03/2005 10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home