Monday, February 21, 2005

300BB Feedback and NL Stop-Loss

I'd like to thank all those who commented on my previous post.

I think the key is not 300BB but how many buy-ins you've got in reserve. 40 buy-ins does sound like overkill, but if having that much allows someone to play comfortably at a higher level (and not play like scared money), it's the way to go.

Talking about the future is nice, but I still have some cash to add before I consider moving up. It's likely that $600 isn't enough cushion for a $50 buy-in game. We'll see how I feel when I get there. Hopefully, I'll revisit this topic when I move up (or up, then back down). What's the appropriate level for me to play? $500? $750? A grand? The answer to this will have something to do with how big a step it is between the $25 game and the $50 game, and how quickly I can adapt to the game and become +EV at that level.

Stop-loss for NL isn't a hard and fast rule for me, but it goes like this. In home games, I allow myself 3 buy-ins. If I bust out 3 times, I usually take a little walk and consider if I'm in the proper mental state to try and get my money back. Normally, the home games I play in are loose and wild, so getting busted is normally a case of getting outdrawn rather than outplayed. Playing smart poker is a winning proposition over the long term.

Action moves faster online, and it's a little tougher for me to sit out, walk away from the computer, and clear my head (though I have found that penny pot-limit Omaha is a nice way to do just that). It's also tougher for me to assess whether I've run into a tough game. I've quit online ring games on two different occasions, down 2x the buy-in, because it just felt smart to stop playing. Online, the point at which I seriously ask myself if I should continue is 2x the buy-in. If I buy in the third time, I really need to have a good read on the opponents who can double me up.

2 Comments:

Blogger April said...

Yea, Hank had commented on another post somewhere else that the 300BB rule is misunderstood...and since you had asked this question, it was on my mind, so of course I was a pest and asked him how so.

He said that really it's more of; when you hit a downswing, 300BB is what you can expect that downswing to be. So...unless you want to risk losing your entire roll in a downswing, it would be best to play with something above 300BB. Make sense?

(Hopefully I did some semblance of justice to Hank's explanation)

2/21/2005 9:21 PM  
Blogger High Plains Drifter said...

Makes sense to me. Thanks.

2/21/2005 9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home