Saturday, February 26, 2005

The last time I had a day this good, I lost my virginity

Friday started poorly. I woke up hungover and still a bit ticked off at the $80 loss the previous night. I had a lunch shift work. Hoo-fuckin-ray. I get there, and the computers are down. We're back in the stone age of restaurants - everything written by hand. Lucky for us, it was a very slow Friday lunch, or we would've had a lot of pissed off and impatient customers to deal with. To top it off, the boss wouldn't let any of us leave until the computers were fixed (the tech arrived at 2pm or so).

And then life starts to get better. I get my cell phone and a book to read while I waited. So I'm getting paid minimum wage to read. Just for kicks, I try to call the DMV's Mandatory Action Unit. AND THEY ANSWER!!!! This phone number had been busy every half hour for days, so I felt like I won the lottery. They take my information, and put me on hold. I rush to find my boss, tell him that I'm on the phone with the DMV, and will be out in my car to make sure my cell phone's battery doesn't die during the call.

They had me on hold for at least 7 minutes. Then, paydirt. "Mister <<>>, we've reviewed your case, and everything checks out. We have removed the suspension from your license. The Issuance Department will be able to tell you when you can expect your license in the mail. The number is... "

This past year has been as close as you can get to purgatory on earth. I'm treading water, doing nothing really important or advancing my life. Just taking care of what I need to, and living low-dollar while I'm at it.

It was just a phone call, but it meant that I can start to move on with my life. After I get that license in my hot little hand (in 10-14 business days!!), I will have nothing holding me back from interviewing for territory sales jobs. My friends have great timing. Shelly and Derek both called me with a different job lead for me. Awesome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home