Saturday, March 31, 2007

Picking Back Up

So February and March have come and gone, without a post to this blog. Things have happened, a few of them good things. I'll start with the important ones.

My dad would now appear to be on the other side of his cancer diagnosis with a clean bill of health. He had the tumor cut out of his tongue, spent some time in hospital, healed up, starting talking normally again, and took a cruise to Egypt with my stepmom. And he knows I love him.

I quit my job at Steak Restaurant. The new management decided, after some deliberation, that they would prefer to go forward with me as a server, not a bartender. Bartending there was the only thing that was keeping me there, as the restaurant rapidly went into the shitter after the new management tried to fix the old mistakes, creating a multiplicity of new ones. I have a college degree (chemistry!), three years of field sales experience... it's long since time I got a "real" job.

I spent a weekend bartending at the Nissan Senior's Open in Newport Beach, which was pretty sweet - greenside at the 18th and 17th holes on Saturday and Sunday, respectively. I spent the following weekend in Vegas with Gordo and Poison. My first time meeting Gordo, and the guy gives me Guinness and buys a fuckin' UNC t-shirt cuz his shirts are dirty and we're gonna watch hoops in the Sports Book? That guy's more than OK in my book.

I have another of what I call "freelance bartending" assignments coming up. $25/hr plus any tips at a wedding on Wednesday? If you're reading this, thanks TonyD!

And yes, I'm aware it's a very bad thing to quit a job when you don't have another waiting for you. The guys at my poker game have told me I could be bartending/serving (50/50) at A Different Steak Restaurant. I love the offer, but I have a hunch I shouldn't be in that line of work anymore.

I'm a funk. I don't think it's depression so much as being frozen. My life needs to change, to move somewhere... but I DON'T KNOW WHERE. There's a bunch of things I could do, but what do I want to do, and why am I so afraid of starting... and failing?

4 Comments:

Blogger Yoyo (Poker Poison) said...

I'm so glad you came to Vegas. Not sure I would have gone if you hadn't agreed to join. Even better that you were profitable.

Change is for the good at times. I look forward to seeing you find your path. Best wishes my friend!

3/31/2007 12:50 PM  
Blogger ChiefBigToke said...

Yeah Vegas was a blast, we'll definitely have to do it again. Too bad UNC couldn't make it to the championship game. At least you still have the UNC Women to root for, lol.

-Gordo

3/31/2007 3:05 PM  
Blogger High Plains Drifter said...

Thanks, Gordo. Sadly, the Dook women usually pummel the Carolina ladies. But UNC women-athletes, I think of Mia Hamm... and then it's allll better.

I know I should've bought her a beer back in the spring of '97...

3/31/2007 5:02 PM  
Blogger Free Poker Capital said...

Best and all possible bankrolls ... poker start up Bonuses for new poker gamblers - all possible $50 + $100 bankrolls.

7/30/2009 11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home