Thursday, December 14, 2006

Now is the time for a bunch of retarded shit

It's 2am, and I'm a bottle of Sangiovese deep.

I love poker, in part, because I tilt far less than the average player. I consider myself mentally stronger than the average player. I'm looking specifically at Skipper, a teenager from my homegame. The same guy that taught me the basics of limit holdem, tilts like you would not believe. And I can't believe the situations that set him off.

For the longest time, I've tried to provide him with some Tilt Control. My mantra is "That Bad Player just tried to give me a large chunk of chips. The river card favored him, so he failed in his quest. So long as I keep putting myself in a good position, I will continue to give the Bad Player opportunities to give me chips. The mathematics of poker dictate that eventually, the Bad Player will succeed in giving them to me."

Last evening, Skip and I played in the same 180-man sng on Stars. I ran up a nice stack to start with, and had a few hands go against me as play proceeded. I used my HoH knowledge to play intelligently. Eventually, I had to jam my 6xBB stack with KQ-clubs. I was called by a stack almost as small as mine, then reraised by the table chipleader. I was against 55 and 99. I figured that was as nice as I could've hoped for. I still bricked, and finished 20th when 18 paid. Mister 55 was the bubble boy.

I had played the tourney well, but wasn't too out of sorts by my bustout.

Skip remained, and prospered. I advised him, and kept his head right when he got outdrawn.

He made it to heads-up. $4 tourney, and he's got $140 in his hand, playing for $210 or something.

He lost the HU matchup, against a player who wasn't very good.

He tilted off $50 in a cashgame right after that.

I can't quite get my head around his tilt, even though I've seen it on numerous occasions.

~~

Future post: In my Sunday seasonal tourney, I am the points leader. In six tourneys, I've finished 8th, 7th, 1st, 1st, 3rd, and 2nd. With 10+ per tourney, that's a pretty good string. I'm the host and banker, so I keep stats on the tourneys. This season, I decided to tally the rebuys. After six weeks, I'm the leader in total profit, and rebuys. Me. The tight guy. Apparently I'm incredibly easy to stack in the rebuy phase, but insanely tough to stack afterward. Or the cards have gone my way, repeatedly, after the first hour.

~~

If anybody is looking for me, I'm HP Drifter on Full Tilt, and Statham on Stars. The fun part... if you see HPD on Full Tilt on Thursday or Sunday, in the early evening, it's probably not me. Some of the guys from my homegame have taken to showing up early for my game, paying me cash, and playing $22 and $33 sng's under my name on Full Tilt. Chill and Bruiser are currently positive for my account.

I do this because I'm nice, and because I figure those two aren't very good at sng's. They pay me in cash, which I keep if they lose. If they win, I pay them in cash.

Last Thursday, for instance, Bruiser showed up at my place more than an hour early, drunk. This is not new for Bruiser, who hasn't had a 9-5 job in a long time. He put his case of Sam Adams in my fridge, and started playing on my account on FT.

His results: first, second, fourth, eighth, fourth. In between, he donked off two buy-ins at my cashgame. At the very end, he wanted to move up to the $33 sng. Had he not monied, I would've been slightly up, cash on hand. He ended up winning it, and I had to pay him out $140 or so.

I just won a single-table, and double-table sng, on FT, which inched my account up over a grand for the first time ever.

If this keeps up, I'll be partially cashing out of FT.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home